February 22, 2007

stress free home zones

One of my stress-free moves this past week was to clean and clear out clutter. Whew took years off me. After clearing out 3 huge garbage bags of clothes from my closet I was wondering why I still had so much left! My shoe collection didn't dwindle so much even though I wear flip flops almost every day (yeah winters are harsh here... wink wink)! Like life, closets go through ebbs and flows and mine is now in a nice flow state.

The purpose of this exercise was to create stress-free zones in my home. I was feeling the stress of neglecting casa de elliott. I started by strategically placing flowers (v-dayroses from spouse brett and freesias from brett to muse sabrina) throughout our home in tall drinking glasses. I think like people, roses too need breathing space so I place 2-3 in a glass instead of bunching them up in one vase. Freesias are right next to muse's bowl where she wakes up and sniffs the fragrant flowers.

So, here's some tips I put together (inspired by my living space) to help you create serenity zones sprinkled around your home. The idea is to come home to relax and unwind to your uncluttered space.

- Clean the bathrooms gals (and guys)! To be a home spa diva, this is a "must do" requirement!
- Dimmer switches placed in the bedroom and the living room corner for coziness.
- A candle is always lit in my home office and while I read on my bruno chair. It's sort of a ritual I started last year that promotes a serene environment.
- I love fabrics so I drape them over my desk for a change of scenery. I find the most luxurious fabrics at upholstery shops and look for the remnants (end of the bolt that is sold for cheap!). I love texture and print. Adds a playful and sophisticated touch to furniture. Going organic will make you feel good knowing you're using natural fibers. Experiment with patters and fabrics you like and place them around your home or office.
- Finally, get rid of clutter! It's stressful. If it doesn't make you feel good about it having it around - move it on. Toss the blurry photos, old bath and body products, items that have lost its meaning, etc...

Your Ultimate Goal to be a Home Spa Diva is to Simplify Your Space and Make yourself at Home. I'm not an expert on feng shui or inerior decorater. As a Cancerian homebody though I do take pleasure in having a home that speaks to my taste and makes me feel warm and fuzzy. Create your home sanctuary so you look forward to stepping into your home.
Enjoy!

No comments: