February 28, 2007

a kick in the pants to go for it

Today is one of those days I feel totally human and totally unable to put into eloquent words what I'm feeling. Ever been there?

Well, I talked to my mom on the phone last night before my parent's flight to the Philippines. They live on the east coast and I'm here on the west coast now 5 yrs. My mom just retired last week. This makes both parents retired from their careers. My mom a nurse, dad an accountant. Both very practical careers. They're happy, my 3 other siblings are extremely happy. It's one of those realities that we're all getting older and a new chapter of the book is being written. They came with a dream over 30 yrs ago to come to the states for better opportunities for their 4 kids. they accomplished that and much more. i'm so proud of of them for all they sacrificed for us.

So it made me feel human in that I know I must stop with the things in life that hold me back from doing more, ie complaining about being tired, complaining about where the world is, complaining about people complaining, complaining in general, doing things that don't bring me to the path of joy or my life's calling. You know what I mean? I feel like to show appreciation for what my parent's and my grandparent's and their parents did for us, I must be what the army motto really states "be all that you can be" or I really would be doing a huge diservice to my ancestors who sacrificed to get me here. I came to the states at a young age, the youngest of 4 and always have been sensitive. hard being that way growing up, though I can feel good about who i am and becoming. I feel so blessed to be doing what i'm doing and at that place in my life where i appreciate it. I really am at the steering wheel/helm, whatever we want to call it, of my life. i'm guiding it in the direction that makes me feel good. some days i feel like taking the easy road, the road where millions of people travel and those really difficult days i feel like steering it off the cliff but i manage to use the principles of how i run my store, my life, my work through knowing my values. it is the rock in my life. the thing that remains steady and predictable.

so, today i live strongly by what vickie milazzo said in her 5 promises she made herself when she was at a crossroads. "I will go for it or reject it outright" from her book Inside Every Woman.

Today that welcome call has given me the big kick in the pants to go for it!

Here's another great quote by Erma Bombeck.

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and can say, 'I used everything you gave me.'"

May all your dreams come outrageously true!

No comments: