January 19, 2007

French Women for all Seasons


Bonjour mesdames et messieurs!

As one of my 19 or so books (really, I lost count) laying around the kitchen, bathroom, office, bedroom, living room, floor, hallways, piano, just about anywhere I can read depending on my mood... yes, I have an awful book addiction.... there's one I just finished worth mentioning. It's called French Women For all Seasons, by the same author as French Women Don't Get Fat. The author Mireille Guilliano writes about how french women anticipates, takes full pleasure in and indulges in the full bounty of each season, what she eats and relates this concept to all areas of life.

She's reminding us to maximize our pleasure factor. Less is more, less is better. For example, if having friends over for dinner, make a one course dinner, as opposed to an eight course meal, with a bottle of wine. Actually more pleasurable since now you are enjoying the art of getting together, with less stress on the host.

When I came across this book, I thought it would satisfy my appetite for things french which I've been craving. Success! and then some. Here's some quick tidbits of my thoughts from this book that gave me unexpected delights.

  • thoughtfulness and mindfulness
  • awareness that we're living for the moment
  • finding a balance
  • you are unique, fit these principles into your lifestyle (busy mother, wife, student, caretaker of aging parents, overworked single person, etc...)
  • stop for enjoyment
  • figure out what your priorities are and start working at them each day
  • food and food traditions
  • be comfortable in your own skin
  • the best way you can de-stress is to BE YOURSELF

So this brings me to the conclusion that anyone is capable of writing their own life story in a picturesque way as Mireille. I'm off to think about which chapter my life is in right now. And you? Your life in chapters.

Also in the book are many delicious seasonal recipes scattered throughout your reading too. Pg 234 A week's menu for winter to help you get started enjoying winter's food bounty.

If you're in the all things french mood, check out this wonderful film, Un Coeur Hiver (1992, A Heart in Winter). Passion in a violin shop! It's available on Netflix.com.

You can view book pages or buy it on Amazon. Click on this link.
French Women for All Seasons: A Year of Secrets, Recipes, and Pleasure


Maria
maria@destressessentials.com

No comments: