April 21, 2007

books on tape

my day started yesterday with an early morning recording session at the 'recording for the blind and dyslexic' record-a-thon (RFB&D). it was quite an experience being in the sound proof booth hearing my voice in another tone as i read. i was so lucky to read a non-textbook this time, sidney portier's, The Measure of a Man: A Spiritual Autobiography!

bill, the recording pro outside my booth gave me the queue to read and stop made me feel at ease in the 'cozy' booth which almost looked like a time machine to me. he patiently stopped me twice both for not being able to say the word 'damn'. he said i kept saying drama. strange, i could have kept reading not aware of my error. why my brain didn't want to read it is mind boggling but thank goodness he found humor in that while he backed the tapes to re-record again and again. after the recording, bill, said he enjoyed my reading so much that he felt transported to cat island in the bahamas, where sidney portier's life in chapter 1 mostly took place --- writing so fondly of the simple life with each day ending up with his family on the front porch watching the sun set. that was 45 minutes of reading and how exhausting and exhilirating at the same time it was. what an honor!

i love this lesser known organization where they serve more than 100,000 students with print disabilities around the world! their unit is made up of hundreds of volunteers who give their time by reading for those who can't see standard print. check them out.... rdb&d, sb unit.

No comments: