July 23, 2007

unclutter and de-stress by swapping

So I'm reading this illuminating book by the author of Eat, Pray, Love (Elizabeth Gilbert) called The Last American Man and if you've read Eat, Pray Love, you'll fall in love with her storytelling in this book about a really really truly last american man.

Eustace lives in a teepee in the appalachians on 1,000 acres he strategically purchased over time. He's not a hermit, not a survivalist, not an angry woodsy anti-social man making bombs in the woods (sorry, me being judgemental), but an educated, well studied do-it-yourself man of action who truly cares (and sometimes too idealistically) about the earth and destined to convey this to every one he meets (horseback riding across the country). that's the short of it, in this compelling biography. i'm already inspired... (he had me at hello!)

what got me to thinking about the 3 R's was that instead of recycle, why not Reconsider and Refuse the purchase. Ok this might not be good promotion for my store (hard for me to hold back) but in those cases where you really don't need to purchase and your gut telling you otherwise, consider alternatives. ideal bite offers some cool swap sites if you wanna do some soul searching by consuming less.

1 comment:

Melissa Broughton, M.Ed., L.E. said...

I was just catching up on your blog and saw that you are reading Eat, Pray, Love -- isn't it fantastic! A day before I left for Italy in February, a friend recommended it. I couldn't put it down my first week in Siena and it served as therapy for my first week in a foreign country. I also got to meet Elizabeth Gilbert, the author, in Malibu about a month ago -- we have the same birthday! Anyway, she is absolutely adorable and I love her style of writing. While I was travelling in Wyoming, I visited the Ucross Foundation outside of Sheridan WY, an artist retreat on a ranch, where she wrote the book. And...I read that the movie of Eat, Pray, Love with Julia Roberts will be out in 2008!